Over the last few weeks, I’ve enjoyed adding these pickled onions to almost everything - salads, tacos, and even my breakfast burrito.
What you need:
White distilled vinegar
1. To start, take off the skin of the onion leaving everything else intact.
2. Using a sharp knife or mandolin, thinly slice the onion. If doing large quantities I found the mandolin to be very simple to use.
3. Gently pull the slices apart and place them into a mason jar, press down to keep them compact. Fill the jar to just under the brim.
4. Using 1/2c water and 1/2c white vinegar, stir in 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of honey. Keep in mind that if you're wanting to make larger quantities you can easily double this recipe. Just remember it’s one part water and one part white vinegar.
5. Pour the water/vinegar mixture over top onions, be careful not to pour too much. You want to press the onions down with a spoon until they are fully submerged under the liquid.
6. Store in the fridge overnight.