Staying in for Valentines Day dinner this year? Well I’ve got the recipe for you. These fall-off-the-bone braised short ribs are a crowd pleaser and super easy to make. Serve over mashed potatoes and you’ve got an easy gourmet meal.
What you need
8 beef short ribs,whole
4 carrots, roughly cut
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 springs of fresh thyme
1 yellow onion, chopped
2.5 c. Beef broth, low sodium
2 tbsp. Tomato paste
1/4 c. All-purpose flour
3 tbsp. Olive oil
1 c. Red wine, dry
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions to the pan and cook, stirring constantly until golden.
3. Add carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Remove both veggies and set aside.
4. Season the ribs with salt and peppers, then coat all sides in flour
5. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, turn to high heat and add ribs to pan. Brown on all sides, approx 45 seconds per side and remove.
6. Pour in wine and scape pan to release browned bites. Bring to a coil and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add beef broth and salt & pepper.
8. Stir in tomato paste. Add ribs, veggies and whole springs of thyme and rosemary.
9. Cover with a lid and place into the oven. Cook at 350 degrees for 2 hours, then reduce heat to 325 and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes. Ribs should be fork-tender and falling off the bone.
10. Remove the pan from oven and let sit for 20 minutes, skim off any fat that has risen to the top.
I typically serve over mashed potatoes and today I’m going to let you in on a little secret, I don’t make my own mashed potatoes. Shh, don’t tell... These original Bob Evans mashed potatoes are the best, I’ve had my husband fooled for years. It’s all about presentation so bring out a pretty serving dish and no one will know the difference — promise!
Side note: I’ve cooked this dish in both the crockpot and in the oven, if using the slow cooker just cook on the low setting for 8 hours. I’ve linked my favorite crockpot which allows you to sauté in the insert and then transfer saving you from the mess!
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
I’d like to give credit to Lauren Allen with Tastes Better From Scratch for these fall off the bone braised short ribs.